Whether you’re planning a date night with your spouse, trying to find the perfect venue to celebrate an anniversary with your partner or looking for an idyllic location to ask an important question, finding a romantic spot isn’t always easy — unless you happen to be in Indy.
There are plenty of romantic places in Indianapolis where you and your favorite person can retreat for a while — without the kids. Here’s our list of favorites:
Romantic Places to Eat in Indianapolis
If you want a truly intimate dining experience for your special night, skip the kitschy chain restaurants like Olive Garden and Outback. For an unforgettable experience, try one of these local Indy favorites, instead:
- The Eagle’s Nest: The steak and seafood here are truly exceptional, but nothing compares to the 360-degree view of the city you get from this rooftop restaurant above the Hyatt Regency hotel.
- Sangiovese Ristorante: Between the fireplace inside and the waterfront patio, this has long been one of the best places for romance in Indy. You can arrange for a private dining experience and try all the best Italian dishes and wines.
- 3Up Rooftop Bar: Located in nearby Carmel, this spot features cozy couches and chairs, and fireplace dining with delicate appetizers and custom drinks.
- Iozzo’s Garden of Italy: For many people, romance and fine Italian food go together. You’ll find plenty of that here as you dine under twinkling lights in one of Indy’s most well-known spots for romance.
- Meridian Restaurant: If American fare is your thing, you won’t regret going to this restaurant. Chandeliers and a rustic atmosphere give this venue a lodge-like feel that makes it easy to leave your daily concerns at the door.
- Mama Carolla’s Old Italian Restaurant: If you want your significant other to feel like they’ve been whisked away to Italy itself, check out this spot. The food in this Mediterranian-styled villa is phenomenal, the wine engaging and the atmosphere is ripe for romance.
- Vida: One of the few places to earn the coveted Four Diamond Award from AAA for its world-class service, drinks and innovative cuisine, this is a cozy venue with food like no others.
- The Melting Pot: Sharing a pot of fondue is a great way to break the ice with someone new or just reconnect with your partner. Cheese, chocolate and wine are only part of the offerings in this special place.
Romantic Places to Stay in Indianapolis
Maybe you’re looking for a getaway that lasts longer than dinner and drinks. If so, you won’t be disappointed when you try one of the following destinations for an overnight stay or a weekend retreat with your favorite person:
- Ironworks Hotel: Industrial charm and modern amenities combine with concierge service and private rooftop terraces with firepits. This lovely venue even has package deals throughout the year for special occasions.
- JW Marriot Indianapolis: Elegant furnishings, excellent restaurants and a romance package that includes chocolate-covered strawberries and champagne make this a wonderful place for true romance.
- Nestle Inn Bed and Breakfast: If you want to feel like you’re entirely alone with your spouse or partner in the middle of the city, this is where to go. A charming B&B with great service, it’s within walking distance of the Murat Theatre and plenty of art galleries, jazz bars and breweries.
- The Alexander: Located right in downtown Indy, this hotel has gorgeous guest rooms and on-site dining and drinks. Even better: It’s filled with art displays everywhere you look. If you and your beloved are art lovers, this is the place to go.
- Le Meridian Indianapolis: Located close to the Indiana Convention Center, this hotel offers a modern take on elegance and luxury. The bedding is plush, the craft cocktails are unique and the dining experience is top-notch.
- Old Northside Bed & Breakfast: If you want to feel like a world traveler without even leaving Indy, this is the place for your romantic retreat. This historical building is decorated with handpainted murals and original art from all over the world. Plenty of free amenities, small luxuries and breakfast-on-demand make this a perfect place to stay.
- Omni Severin Hotel: This is the longest-running luxury hotel in Indy, and you can arrange for a package deal with plenty of extras to make your stay here particularly special. You can even take a skywalk to the Circle Centre Mall or the Indianapolis Convention Center if you want something else to do.
Romantic Places to Visit in Indianapolis
Are you looking for a lovely romantic place to propose? Indy won’t let you down. Some of the top places to “pop the question” include:
- Holcomb Gardens: Located on the campus of Butler University, there are 20 acres of rolling hills, a small lake, a gazebo, a garden house and a niche of stone benches known as “poets’ corner”) here that can serve as a backdrop for your proposal.
- Monument Circle: The heart of Indy proper, Monument Circle offers plenty of drama and beauty for your special moment. In winter, you will even be surrounded by gorgeous Christmas lights!
- White River Gardens: If you want to propose surrounded by the beauty of nature, consider this venue. The Butterfly Kaleidoscope in the spring can create a splendid background for an engagement, but there are plenty of reasons to visit this spot all year long.
Looking at the list above, it’s easy to see why Indy is a favorite place for romantics. There’s always something to do or see when you’re here.